Tony Horton’s Power of 4 Workout is NEW, its pretty cool, but it’s different.
Let me explain. But let’s back up a minute, you may have questions first, and I want to get those answered too. I’m not sure where you are in the Tony Horton universe. Tony Horton is best known as the creator and mastermind of P90X (stream it on BOD). I’ve actually spent a lot of time in the P90X world, and if you’re so inclined, can read my P90X Reviews here. For a super long time, Tony was widely known as “Beachbody”. I mean, he kind of made Beachbody famous with Power 90, followed by the extremely popular and already mentioned P90X. He went on to create numerous other programs with Beachbody. Some of my favorites are P90X2, P90X3, 22 Minute Hard Corps. Let’s briefly talk about these programs. I lost 30+ pounds with Power 90, got ripped with P90X, and got into the best shape of my life with P90X2. So I was a little disappointed when I heard he was leaving Beachbody. (wait… what?). Just in case you didn’t know…
Somewhere around 2018, Tony stepped away from Beachbody.
I won’t pretend to know the details of why or how that happened. But it happened nonetheless. He went on to create some other programs with other companies, but in my humble opinion, they never got the publicity of P90X fame, or as good for that matter. One of them was called Next Level (I haven’t even tried this one). None of these programs are super easy to find either, not as easy as the ones created with Beachbody. You can stream all of those workouts (mentioned above) on Beachbody on Demand.
Tony Horton got pretty sick, Ramsay Hunt syndrome type 2.
I followed this as tidbits were posted on social media, or from Tony himself through newsletters. Which brings us to Power of 4. A lot of Tony’s experience with Ramsay Hunt syndrome, is shining through as valuable lessons learned in his new program. Basically, too much stress, suppressing emotions, and being unbalanced in life, can have some rather unpleasant and in some respects, life threatening tendencies. Not good at all.
The Power of 4 Workout contains four pillars.
The Power of 4 Workout is derived from four pillars: Nutrition, Mindfulness, Supplementation and Fitness. All of these pillars have been incorporated into his new program. I started Power of 4 in the BETA phase. Back when he was still trying to figure out the routines, the flow of the workouts, the moves, the rhythm if you will. It was pretty rough at first, but it was Tony, and that’s part of what I enjoy. During the workouts, he does his best to make the workouts fun, at the same time functional, and then also teaching you along the way. If you’ve ever done a workout with Tony, its just classic Tony.
The Power of 4 Workout Review
There are approximately 25 routines, not including any live workouts, so there is plenty of variety. You’ll spend four months completing this program.
One of the things I really enjoy about this program is the “stop options”. In all of the workouts, you will typically see two stop options. If you’re short on time, pick an earlier stop option and fast forward to the cool down. Or if you are more of a beginner or intermediate, maybe you’re toast 30 minutes into the workout. Pick an earlier stop option. As a perfect example, I had “Triple Trouble Challenge” today. I started the workout and knew I didn’t have the 60+ minutes to complete the entire workout. I stopped 45 minutes in at the second stop option and went right to the cool down. It’s fantastic. Super convenient.
Something else I really enjoy, and maybe its a minor detail… but I really like the two timers. The overall timer for the end of the workout, and the timer for the move you’re currently on. I know, its the little things. Another little thing…. the weights they are using, have a very obvious weight size. Meaning its super easy to see what weight range the cast is using.
And oddly enough, some of the crazy things he says during the workouts, it’s just plain ol entertaining.
What else do you need to know…. equipment. You can use free weights or bands. A pull-up bar or bands. You can use the power stands or any power stands for that matter or none at all. You may see the med ball, in some of the workouts, but they are optional. That’s it, you should be fairly well covered in the equipment department.
I’ve been working out with Beachbody for 14+ years. I was in the Beta group for Power of 4. I took a break from the last Beta round and completed a couple of rounds of 645. Now I’m back on the Power of 4 Workout, currently on Day 3. Let me tell you…I’m sore, and I’m loving it. But I truly believe this fitness program can suit a beginner, intermediate and advanced. You’ll probably still be sore no matter your fitness level, and it’s OK. It’s working.
One of the things you’ll see in the Power of 4, is that Tony has worked in what he calls “Power Up” or “Power Down”. Basically, you have options. Power Up if you want to go faster or work harder, or Power Down if you have want to go slower, and work at your current level of fitness. You’ll have visual modifiers to watch throughout the workout.
My Power Life Supplements.
- Foundation Four. Organic greens, fiber, magnesium, and probiotics are the foundation for healthy digestion and whole-body wellness. Learn more about Foundation Four here.
- High Impact Whey Protein. A unique blend of powerful whey proteins, HMB, vitamin D3, and digestive enzymes designed to nourish your muscles, support your strength, and support the preservation of lean muscle. Learn more about High Impact Whey Protein here.
- High Impact Plant Protein. A unique blend of powerful plant proteins, HMB, vitamin D3, and digestive enzymes designed to nourish your muscles, support your strength, and support the preservation of lean muscle. Learn more about High Impact Plant Protein here.
- Foundation Phytonutrients. A potent combination of natural plant-based antioxidants and powerful molecules that works to promote a healthy metabolism and support your overall health and wellness.
- Peak Advantage. Peak Advantage is an advanced adaptogenic formula that is designed to support weight management goals, lean muscle development, and help reduce stress levels for an overall more balanced life.* Learn more about Peak Advantage here.
- High Impact Performance. An easy-dissolve powder formulated with cutting-edge energy boosters to naturally boost mental and physical stamina — without crashes. Learn more about High Impact Performance here.
- And others…
Power of 4 Nutrition Plans.
There are a number of meal plans available, depending on your preference. These could change at random, and at anytime. However, to give you an idea, this what’s currently available. I will say, that there is quite the FB community as well, that group is always exchanging ideas!
Anti-Inflammatory Food Guide
Anti-Inflammatory Meal Planner and Recipes
Fat Burner Meal Plans 1500 Calories plus Grocery Lists
Fat Burner Meal Plans 1800 Calories plus Grocery Lists
Fat Burner Meal Plans 2200 Calories plus Grocery Lists
Performance & Strength Meal Planner 1800 / 2400 / 300 Calories plus Grocery Lists
Power Nation Nutrition Guide
Spices and Substitutions
Vegan 1500 Calorie Meal Plan
Vegan 1800 Calorie Meal Plan
Vegan 2200 Calorie Meal Plan
Vegan 2400 Calorie Meal Plan
Vegan 3000 Calorie Meal Plan
Final thoughts for my Power of 4 Workout Review.
- With 24+ workouts, you have plenty of variety.
- With the various stop options, it’s like getting 3 workouts in one. Choose the time frame that works with your schedule and fitness level.
- Power up or Power down, these workouts fit a variety of fitness levels.
- If you’re looking for an extreme workout, I’m not sure this fits the bill. Especially if you’re looking for something on the level with P90X or maybe the Work (on Beachbody). But then again, I’m sure you can creatively find ways to modify these workouts to add intensity.
- Let me go back and say that after a couple of BETA rounds, and now currently on Day 3 of the official release of Power of 4, this level of intensity is perfect for me.
- It’s a WIN.
Would you like to add to my Power of 4 Workout Review?
I welcome your thoughts and comments, please feel free to comment below.